The weather is changing outside, and I’m celebrating! Although SoCal winters are rather mild, we still enjoy all the feels. My husband and I love sipping hot cocoa by the fire, eating wintry treats and enjoying the season. Now, we get to do all of that with Baby! Here are 3 sweet winter treats for Baby that I love making for him so he can enjoy the season too!
You can make pretty much any type of yummy winter goodness using 2 things:
Honey & Cinnamon
Seriously, it changes the most basic things into a holiday snack perfect for Baby. Honey is a great alternative to sugar, with added benefits too! Cinnamon also has some benefits and puts the taste of the holidays into just about anything.
Note: Do not introduce honey into your baby’s diet until after they are 12 months old. This article is intended for babies already that age an older.
Alright, Let’s Look At 3 Sweet Winter Treats for Baby!
1: Sweet Milk
I don’t give my 17 month-old hot cocoa at this point. But when my husband and I are sipping our mugs of delicious cocoa (a homemade recipe I’ve honed since we’ve been married), I like to give my baby something.
Introducing Sweet Milk! And Kai loves it!
Here’s the Recipe:
- 1/2 cups of milk of you choice (I use whole milk, so for those of you using non-cow’s milk please let me know if you needed to alter the recipe in the comments below!)
- 1 1/2 tsp of honey (the amount is totally up to you, Mama!)
- Cinnamon to taste (start with just a pinch and adjust. A little goes a long way)
- Heat the milk on low heat in a saucepan
- Once the milk is warm, add honey and cinnamon
- Mix well and serve. Make sure to do a heat test to make sure the temperature is appropriate for Baby.
And that’s it! Super easy and delicious! Baby will love having their own holiday drink!
2: Winter Cereal:
A household staple at the moment is baby’s oat cereal. There are days when he simply doesn’t want to try anything, and I’m fresh out of ideas. On those days, baby cereal is my go-to (mamas can you relate?). I’ve created a bunch of new ways vary baby’s cereal to ensure he’s getting his nutrition (which I will be linking in this post once I’ve written it). One of our favorites is winter cereal!
- 1 tsp Honey (to taste)
- Pinch of Cinnamon (to taste)
- Baby’s Cereal
- Prep baby’s cereal like normal
- Add honey and mix well
- Stir in cinnamon (start with small amount and add to taste)
For Variety: Mix in a little bit of applesauce for all the holiday feels! (Make your cereal a little thicker if you plan on adding the applesauce. I personally will add applesauce to the dry cereal before adding the water.
You can also add a tiny bit of clove powder to the mix. If you do this, lighten up on the cinnamon.
It’s so easy it’s crazy and the flavors are so cozy for the winter!
3: Winter Toast
My son is currently in a super picky eating phase. All I can do is continue to offer healthy choices and try not to bang my head against the wall. Breakfast time is when I am least prepared to deal with this, when my coffee hasn’t kicked in yet. Baby loves winter toast, and he loves different versions of it (thaaank you). So now that it’s cooler, this has been a happy snack to add to our days!
- Cinnamon (to taste)
- Peanut Butter (to taste)
- Bread of your choice
- Spread peanut butter on lightly toasted bread
- Drizzle honey over and spread with knife
- Sprinkle just a little cinnamon on top
For healthy variation: Add sliced or mushed bananas on top, or sliced apples. This also works great on waffles!
What I love about these 3 winter treats for Baby is that you can mix or vary up the recipe so easily, giving you more options to offer Baby!
Want More Content Like This?
Stay up with all the latest and greatest of Mama Fearless